The Private Licence will allow the pilot any single engine, non high performance land aeroplane. There are various ratings available to upgrade this license such as the night rating, float rating, instrument rating and multi engine rating.
This is the license that must be completed first before moving onto the Commercial but it can be the start to an exciting aviation career or just a fun and useful hobby!
17 Birthday (flight test can be on that day) One can start younger as the Student pilot permit (which allows you to go solo with supervision can be issued at 14.) We do not recommend starting any younger than 14.
Canadian Category 3 medical. Obtained from a Aviation medical examiner. If you are planning to move forward to the Commercial we recommend the Category 1 which after a year defaults to the Cat 3.
There are no special educational requirements other than a working knowledge of English and a desire to learn.
A minimum of 45 hours total flight time which works out to about 30 hours dual and 15 hours Pilot in Command time including 5 hours solo X-Country and 5 hours dual instrument time.
The average hours for the PPL are between 55-80 total.
Extra time occurs as each student learns at a different rate and has a different schedule.
Learn more about our Accelerated Private Pilot Course, which allows you to complete your private license quicker and with less cost.
The Private course consists of not only flight training but approximately 80 hours of ground school (Only require 40 hours but our ground school in closer to 80 hours) and one on one pre flight training before each flight.
- 45 hours total
- 17 hours of dual instruction minimum
- 12 hours of solo time minimum
- 5 hours of instrument time (in aircraft and simulator.)
- 5 hours Solo cross country with at least one that is 150 nautical miles
- A minimum of 40 hours ground school. Including instruction on Air Law, Meteorology, Navigation, and General Knowledge.
- A pre flight test
- A Transport Canada Written and Flight test is required
Training is at the student's pace and convenience. We recommend training a minimum of twice per week to stay some what consistent. Remember that flights may get cancelled due to weather. If in the accelerate course should be completed in 16-20 weeks.
Based on 172SP Glass Aircraft Rate $175.00/hour, Instructor Rate is $65.00/hour.
- Club Membership $75.00
- Ground School (80 Hours) $400.00
- Ground School Kit $275.00
- 30 Hours Dual Flight $7200.00
- 15 Hours Solo Flight $2625.00
- 25 Hours Ground Brief $1625.00
- Transport Canada Written Fee $150.00
- Flight Test Fee $400.00
- Transport Canada Licensing Fee $55.00
Total Minimum Cost $12,805.00 (All cost do not include GST)
Note: The National average cost to obtain a PPL is between $15,000-$20,000
To achieve spending closer to the lower end of the national average cost, please check out our Accelerated Private Pilot Course
Private Pilot License Course PDF